LinkedIn is all about connecting with people who mean business. It is also a great platform to generate more leads for your company.
While LinkedIn might not be the largest and talked about social network these days, it is no doubt the most powerful there is when it comes to building professional networks and generating business leads.
Here’s the numbers to prove it:
- As of August 2, 2012, LinkedIn has more than 175 million members in over 200 countries, making it the biggest network of professionals in the world.
- Sixty-percent of its members are located outside of the U.S., including Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Africa.
- Professionally oriented searches on LinkedIn reached nearly 4.2 billion last 2011. This is expected to be surpassed by 5.3 billion searches this 2012.
- As of June 30, 2012, executives from all 2011 Fortune 500 companies are registered LinkedIn members, and 85 of the Fortune 100 companies are using the network in their corporate hiring.
- More than 75,000 software developers are using LinkedIn APIs to design and create tools and services for professionals.
- LinkedIn is 277 percent more effective in lead generation than other social networking sites.
- More important of all, there are more than 2 million companies that have LinkedIn pages. So in order for your business to stay abreast of the competition and to continue getting in touch with customers (existing or potentials), see our LinkedIn account setup guide on the next page.
Here’s how to setup a LinkedIn account
1. Set up your profile on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn account can be set up easily and it’s free. Once you have completed the registration process, you will get a confirmation email to activate your account; then you can start to expand your network.
2. Complete your business profile.
After you have logged on to the site and created your business profile, complete your profile 100% by adding information about your business, relevant services offered, and other information about your company. Please note that people make the decision to connect or not to connect based on the information you provide in your profile; therefore, provide all relevant information about your business as needed.
3. Upload a photo of your products or services.
People will most likely connect with you if they trust you. They can trust you if they see a lot of reliable data and images on your profile.
4. Get recommended.
You may request your friends to send recommendations. Encourage your friends to post comments on your business to add credibility about your industry.
5. Promote your company.
You may include links to your company’s website. You can list up to three websites, which means you can link to your blogs and other social media accounts.
Optimise your LinkedIn profile for search engines
1. Customise your public profile URL with your business name
You can customise your LinkedIn profile by updating your LinkedIn profile URL. Your profile URL should look like this http://www.linkedin.com/in/yourname.
To do this, click on “edit” next to your public profile URL, and then “edit” once again on your public profile settings page. Please see below.
2. Add custom anchor text to links
Since you can list up to three links on your profile to other websites, customise your anchor text strategically to rank higher for certain keywords.
3. Optimize keywords in your summary section
Use keywords to introduce your business to get a higher chance of ranking in search engines.
Importance of getting a LinkedIn account now
LinkedIn can be a fantastic tool for reminding people about your business. With LinkedIn, people in your network can remember you, and appreciate and understand your business. It is your tool to reach out to your prospect customers. This way, your customers will recommend you, buy from you, and create more opportunities for your business to grow.