Reddit is a social media website that allows people to submit web content, which can include blog posts, images, videos, and news articles. It has become popular because it allows individuals to bookmark the pages that match their interests and share them with other folks. Aside from this, it also enables them to know what other people are currently reading and watching as well as vote on the content that have been submitted.
Reddit has become so well-known and well-loved that, as of October 2012, it has attracted 35 million users and 1.8 billion monthly page views. However, it would be a mistake to think that this website is only for private individuals. After all, it can also be helpful for business owners like you.
The reason for this is that Reddit enables you to enjoy several benefits. Some of these include:
Interacting with real people who could be/already are your customers
Joining this social media website is similar to talking with the folks who come inside your store. You can speak with them, listen to what their needs and wants are, and find a way to cater to these. The only difference is that, on Reddit, you would be doing it in a larger scale and in an easier way.
Promoting your products and services effectively
Although you should not use traditional marketing strategies in this website (further explained below), there is still a high chance that you can turn your merchandise into a viral phenomenon. This comes from the fact that the Reddit website is divided into numerous categories called “subreddits”, each of which focuses on a certain niche. Thus, by tapping into this system, you can reach out to targeted users who have already expressed interest in your specific market.
Building brand recognition and loyalty
As mentioned above, the users of this social media site can vote positively or negatively on the submissions. If the content that you have submitted gets many positive votes, it will be placed on the front page. This, in turn, allows you to be visible to numerous people and thus make them aware about your business. It also enables you to be seen by your existing customers and encourage them to stick to your company.
These are only some of the benefits that Reddit can bring. With these, you may be inspired to harness the potential of this website and use it to improve your business.
You do not have to worry about the technical issues of opening and managing your account. If you want to get started, you can browse through the comprehensive guide that we have provided below:
USING REDDIT FOR YOUR BUSINESS
There are basically two ways through which you can utilise this social media site. The first is to create your own user account, which you can do by following these steps:
1. Go to http://www.reddit.com/ and click on the “login or register” link on the upper right hand corner.
2. A form would appear in a pop-up window. Provide all the required information under the “Create a New Account” column.
3. After filling up and submitting the form, you will be taken back to the website. At the left upper part of the screen, you would see a box where you can search for subreddits. In here, you can then type in the keywords that are related to your business. If you own a computer repair shop, for example, you can type the word “computer” in the search box. The website will then generate some suggestions (such as /r/techsupport and /r/computers) and you can click on them to start browsing.
4. After subscribing to a few subreddits, you can start reading the articles and comments that are posted. Doing this is important so that you can get a feel of what the website is like and understand more about the online community that it hosts.
Once you have an idea of Reddit’s ethos, you can then start to post comments on articles that are related to your business. Using the same example above, you can perhaps comment on a write-up that talks about how to choose the right computer repair technician. Of course, after getting the hang of giving comments, you can move on to posting links to articles. These write- ups may or may not contain links to your website, but they must be interesting and informational to your potential customers.
This is the first way through which you can use Reddit for your business. The second, meanwhile, is to utilise the self-service advertising option that this social media offers. To do this, you can:
- Go to http://www.reddit.com/ad_inq/ and click the “Create an ad” button.
- Fill up the form. You can use the account that you have created earlier and fill up the form under the “Log In” column. However, if you want to have a separate account for your advertisements, you can opt to input your details under the “Create New Account” column and then click the “Create Account” button.
- Assuming that you want to use your existing account, the next step that you should take is to type in your e-mail address and password on the new window that would pop up. Once this is done, click the “Send verification email” button.
- After this, you should then check your e-mail address. You would receive an e-mail stating your Reddit username and providing you with a link to verify your e-mail address.
- You should then click this link, which will take you to another Reddit page. In here, you would be asked to provide the title of your advertisement and the URL where it would lead to. Click the “Next” button once you are done.
- After this, you would then be taken to your campaign dashboard. In here, you can control where your adverts would be placed in the site and view the site’s promotion history. You can also edit how the advertisement would look like and decide if people can comment on it or not.
MANAGING AND OPTIMISING YOUR REDDIT USER ACCOUNT
1. Know more about Reddit. You can do this by reading the Reddiqette, the FAQ section, and the User Agreement section. By doing this, you can learn about the rules that you have to follow and thus avoid getting penalised by the Reddit management.
2. Utilise the power of subreddits. These categories are home to people who are interested in specific areas and thus are a great source of targeted users for your business.
3. Share to gain trust from audience. As mentioned above, using traditional marketing techniques is not advisable in this social media site. The reason for this is that many of its users are liberal thinkers and are critical and discerning of hard-sell marketing. Thus, you should not promote your products and services outright; rather, you must instead look for articles, videos, or pictures that are interesting and useful for your target audience. This way, you can contribute something of value and gain the trust of the community.
4. Learn from the experts. Many Reddit users have mastered the art of gaining positive votes and comments. Thus, when you have the time, you can browse through their work and apply their strategies to your own.
5. Make your company interesting. The Reddit community is always on the lookout for funny or extraordinary events, merchandise, and people. Because of this, you should look for ways through which you can attract their attention, such as offering an innovative product or hosting an exciting gathering.