With the launch of iOS6 (we are now at iOS7 and counting) Apple made it’s own maps software the default,replacing Google Maps. Apple devices are owned by millions people around the world and according to a sales projection study, around one billion units of iOS devices (like iPhones and iPads) could be sold worldwide by 2015. That is a lot of potential visitors to your site!
Apple is constantly upgrading this application and making it more functional. As they do, more people will use start to rely on it for finding local places and businesses.
By being listed in Apple Maps you could:
Be more visible to possible clients
Many people use Maps to find products and services near them. If you are listed then there is a good chance that these individuals may come upon your business. More visitors can lead to more buyers, higher sales, and bigger revenues.
Encourage return customers
You may have some clients who know where you are located but could not recall your store name, or vice versa. By being listed in Apple Maps, you can help make it easier for them to return to you.
So, lets get started…
Search for Your Business
- Get an Ipad or an iPhone (updated to iOS6).
- Open the Maps app and enter your business name and location in the search box.
Make sure you use the location. In its current state, Apple Maps can get easily confused
if the query is not precise. It is recommended to do the following searches, to make sure your business shows up for all of them:
- business name + city
- business name + city + state
- business name + street address
- business name + street address + city
- business name + street address + city + state
- business phone number
If your business listing does not appear for any of the above queries, it’s possible that you may have one of the following issues:
- Apple Maps does not have your business in its database
- Apple Maps is confusing your location with a different location (e.g. Miami, FL v. Miami, OH)
- Apple Maps does not have your location in its database
- Report Your Location to Apple Maps
- Search for your location
- In the location detail click the “Report a Problem” link
- Choose the appropriate problem
- Choose “Other” on the Report a Problem screen
- Add your business data via the various fields and submit. It’s unclear how often
Apple is updating the maps based on user-submitted data, so it is important to check your business in Apple Maps once in a while.
- Submit Business Listing in Yelp + Optimisation Tips
- Create a Yelp profile and monitor it often. Apple integrates Yelp into its mapping service application and you can create a Yelp account for your business. When doing this, you have to make sure that your business name and address is correct so that it will match with the data that Apple has. You can also include detailed and attractive pictures of your products or establishment to catch the attention of potential customers.
- Check your Yelp Profile. As time goes on, you must constantly check your Yelp profile. This way, you can add any new information that you may have and thus keep your account updated. Since Apple Maps also uses the pictures in your Yelp profile, you should also check your images and see if they don’t contain anything that may be harmful for your business.
- Make sure that you have positive Yelp reviews. Apple Maps also displays the most recent reviews for your business. Because of this, you should ensure that you can get excellent feedback from your customers. This way, you can paint your business in a positive light and attract many new buyers.
You can do this by putting links to your Yelp account in your website so that your clients would be aware that you have one. Of course, you should also continue to give excellent products and services. This way, your customers will be encouraged to give positive reviews about you.
3. Submit your listing to major business listing data suppliers for Apple Maps: Acxiom, Factual, Localeze, and TomTom.
TomTom is a Dutch firm that develops and produces navigation systems which supplies some of the data to Apple Maps.
- Go to https://mycompany.places.tomtom.com and search for your company. You can do this by typing the name of your business in the “Company Name” box and your location in the “City” box. Click the “Search for your company” button once you are done.
- If your business is not in TomTom’s database, a pop-up window will appear the click the “Add new company” button to add a listing for your business.
- After clicking the button, you will be taken to another window and presented with a form. You should then fill up this form and ensure that you would give all the correct details. You must also make sure to select the right category for your business. This way, it can be easy for potential customers to find your shop or firm. Click the “Continue” button once you are done.
- After filling in the form, you will be taken to another window wherein you have to register as a contact person for your business. Provide all the needed details and click the “Register” button once you are done.
- You will then receive a notification in your e-mail address after you have registered. Click on the link in the e-mail to confirm your registration.
- Once you have clicked on the link provided in the e-mail, you will be taken back to the TomTom website and will be given a confirmation message about your registration. From here, you can then opt to add more information about your business, such as your fax number, website, and opening hours.
4. Check your Apple Maps data
As mentioned above, Apple is still making improvements to the application, which may lead to some problems with the data that it contains. Once your business listing has been added to Maps, you have to check it every now and then and ensure that all of the information there are still correct.